JEROME M. SEGAL
Awards and Grants
Current Work in Progress
b) Philosophical economics/development ethics
c) Israeli-Palestinian conflict
Selected Television and Radio Appearances
Selected articles about Jerome Segal
Interviews With JMS from 1988
President: The Jewish Peace Lobby (since 1989) www.jewishpeacelobby.org
Research Scholar, Department of Philosophy, University of Maryland (active retiree status)
1979 M.P.A. Hubert Humphrey School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota,
1975 Ph.D. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Philosophy)
1966 M.A. University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (Philosophy)
1964 B.A. The City College of New York, Magna Cum Laude, Special Honors in Economics and Philosophy
AWARDS AND GRANTS
1964 Brittain Prize in Ethics, CCNY
1964 Economics Prize, CCNY
1967 Hopwood Award, Essay division, University of Michigan
1973 Ford Foundation, Post Doctoral Fellowship in Evaluation Methodology, Univ. of Minnesota
1992-96 Participant in grants from PEW Foundation, Population and Consumption
1994/95 United States Institute of Peace, "Jerusalem: the Limits of Negotiability."
1994/95 The Ford Foundation, "Jerusalem: the Limits of Negotiability."
1994/95 The Tydes Foundation, "Jerusalem: the Limits of Negotiability."
1994/95 The Bydale Foundation, "Jerusalem: the Limits of Negotiability."
1996/97 The MacArthur Foundation, Research and Writing Award for work on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict
1998 Sloan Foundation, grant, "On the Feasibility of a Needs-based Measure of Standard of Living."
2009 Funding Exchange, grant "The Peace Consultancy Project."
Finalist: Sophie Brody Medal of the American Library Association for the most distinguished contribution to Jewish literature, 2007, (Joseph’s Bones).
9/85 - 12/10 Senior Research Scholar, Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy, School of Public Policy, University of Maryland.
9/90 - 3/91 Consultant: Agency for International Development on AID's Democratization Initiative
1983 - 1988 Senior Advisor for Agency Planning, Bureau for Program & Policy Coordination, Agency for International Development
1979-1982 Coordinator for the Near East, Bureau for Program & Policy Coordination, Agency for International Development
1977-1978 Administrator, Task Force on Distributive Impacts of Budget and Economic Policies, Committee on the Budget, U.S. House of Representatives
1976-1977 Legislative Assistant, Congressman Donald M. Fraser
Fall 1975 Special Assistant to Congressman Donald M. Fraser, United States Delegate to the 30th General Assembly and Seventh Special Session of the United Nations, U.S. Mission to the U.N.
Spring 1974 Associate Member of Graduate Faculty, School of Public Affairs, University of Minnesota
Spring 1973 Visiting Assistant Professor, New College, Sarasota
Spring 1972 Visiting Lecturer, Princeton University
1968-1972 Instructor, Department of Philosophy, University of Pennsylvania
1966-1967 Pre-doctoral Instructor, Philosophy Department, University of Michigan
- Agency, Illusion and Well-Being: Essays in Moral Psychology and Philosophical Economics, (Savage: Rowman and Littlefield, 2009).
- Joseph’s Bones: Understanding the Struggle Between God and Mankind in the Bible, (New York: Riverhead, 2007)
- Negotiating Jerusalem, (SUNY Press, 2000) with Elihu Katz, Shlomit Levy, Nader Said.
- Graceful Simplicity: Towards a Philosophy and Politics of Simple Living (New York: Henry Holt, 1999). Published in Danish (2006). Also published in Chinese (2000). Also in paper by Quality Paperback Book Club (2000). Second Edition , published as: Graceful Simplicity: The Philosophy and Politics of the Alternative American Dream (U of CA Press, 2003).
- Agency and Alienation: A Theory of Human Presence, (Savage: Rowman and Littlefield, 1991). Paperback, 1996.
- Creating the Palestinian State -- A Strategy for Peace, (New York: Lawrence Hill Books, 1989).
- Also published in Arabic, by the Palestine Academic Society for the Study of International Affairs, (Jerusalem: September 1989).
- The Cottage (a novel) unpublished.
- “The Feasibility of a Capabilities Approach to Measuring Standard of Living,” Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy, 2001.
- "What We Work For Now: Changing Household Consumption Patterns in the 20th Century," Redefining Progress, with assistance from Cynthia Pansing and Brian Parkingson, 2002
CURRENT WORK IN PROGRESS
- Olive Branch: The Palestinian Declaration of Independence and the Strategy of Unilateral Peace-Making (forthcoming).
- Confronting 1948 -- The Key to Israeli-Palestinian Peace (in preparation)
- Peace Prescriptions: Opportunities to Resolve the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict from 1988 to the Present (in preparation)
- The Torah-Redactor's Tale (a novel, in preparation)
- Redefining Economic Progress (in preparation).
- “God’s Project” in Philosophy and the Hebrew Bible, edited by Charles Manekin.
- Review of James Kugel, How to Read the Bible, and Karen Armstrong, The Bible: A Biography, The Washington Post, November 2007.
- “Teaching the Bible in Public Schools/Reading the Bible as Literature,” Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly, Fall, 2007.
- “A Novel Approach to the Torah: Cracking the Bible’s Literary Code,” Jewish Telegraphic Agency, (reprinted in American Jewish papers) September 2007
- “A Novel Way to Teach Torah.” Jbooks.com, August 2007
- “Yes, Teach the Bible, But How?” Baltimore Sun, July 8, 2007
ESSAYS/ARTICLES (Philosophical Economics/Development Ethics)
- “Graceful Living,” Less is More, edited by Cecile Andrews, 2009.
- “Two Ways of Thinking About Money,” Voluntary Simplicity, edited by Samuel Alexander, 2008.
- “Simplicity,” The Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics, MacMillan, 2005
- “A Policy Agenda for Taking Back Your Time,” Take Back Your Time, edited by John de Graaf, (San Francisco: Berrett Koehler, 2003).
- “Are We Simple Creatures,” Philosophical Dimensions of Public Policy, edited by Verna Gehring and William Galston, (New Brunswick: Transaction, 2002).
- “Income and Development,” Philosophical Dimensions of Public Policy, edited by Verna Gehring and William Galston, (New Brunswick: Transaction, 2002).
- “Alternatives to the Mass Consumption Society,” Philosophical Dimensions of Public Policy, edited by Verna Gehring and William Galston, (New Brunswick: Transaction, 2002).
- “Consumption and the Cost of Meeting Household Needs,” Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly, Winter/Spring 2002.
- “Why We Work Now” New York Times, September 3, 2001
- “We Need Less Labor, More Days” The Washington Post, Outlook, Sept. 3, 2000
- “Achieving the Good Life,” Dollars and Sense, July/August 1999
- “Consumer Expenditures and the Growth of Need Required Income," Ethics of Consumption, edited by David A. Crocker and Toby Linden, Rowman and Littlefield (1997).
- “Living at a High Economic Standard: a Functionings Analysis" in Ethics of Consumption, edited by David A. Crocker and Toby Linden, Rowman and Littlefield (1997).
- “Alternatives to Mass Consumption" in The Consumer Society, edited by Neva Goodwin, Frank Ackerman, and David Kiron, (Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 1997),
- “The Politics of Simplicity," TIKKUN, July/August 1996.
- “Money and Our Economic Life," TIKKUN, Nov/Dec 1995.
- "Population Programs and Alternative Conceptions of Development." Report of the Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy, Fall, 1993.
- "AID's Democratic Initiative: Concepts, Definitions and Values," Agency for International Development, March 1991
- "The Nature of the Economic Development Problem," in Needs, Rights and Capacities, edited by Ken Aman, proceedings of International Development Ethics Conference, Montclair State Univerity, 1991.
- "Alternative Conceptions of the Economic Realm," in Richard Coughlin edited, Morality, Rationality, Efficiency: Perspectives on Socio-Economics 1990, (M.E. Sharpe) 1991.
- "Basic Needs, Income and Development" Ethics and Agriculture, edited by Charles V. Blatz, (Moscow, Idaho: University of Idaho Press, 1991. Originally in QQ - Report from the Center for Philosophy and Public Policy, U of Maryland, Fall. Reprinted in The Center Magazine, Center for the Study of Democratic Institutions, May/June, 1986.
- "What is Development" Working Paper, Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy, Univ. of Maryland, October 1986.
- The Strategic Plan of the Agency for International Development, A.I.D. 1985 (principal drafter).
- Review of Waterbury, John; The Egypt of Nasser and Sadat, Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 1983.
- Review of Meagher, Robert F. An International Distribution of Wealth and Power: A study of the Charter of Economic Rights and Duties of States, Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 1983.
- Richard Newberg, Jerome Segal, et al, "Rainfed Agriculture Strategy," Country Development Strategy Statement: Morocco, Agency for International Development, 1982.
- "The Employment Problem in Egypt" Agency for International Development 1981, (internal paper).
- "Strategy Reflections on Egypt" Agency for International Development, 1980.
- "Changing the Pattern of Unemployment" Committee on the Budget, U.S. House of Representatives, 1979.
- "Distributive Impacts of the Administration's Welfare Reform Proposal and Alternatives," Committee on the Budget, U.S. House of Representatives, 1978.
- "Rising Energy Prices and Alternative Energy Policies: Benefits and Burdens," Committee on the Budget, U.S. House of Representatives, 1977.
ESSAYS/ARTICLES (Israeli-Palestinian Conflict)
- The Growing Values Gap Between Israel and the US, Baltimore Jewish Times, January 21, 2018
- UNSCOP-2: The Palestinians Have an Option Other Than the Trump Administration, [Appeared in Arabic in Al Quds on January 10, 2018]
- No, Trump didn’t end the peace process by recognizing Jerusalem -- "Jerusalem" means something very different to Arabs and Jews, The Washington Post, December 8, 2017
- The unknown history of the UN plan to partition Palestine, +972, December 1, 2017
- The Importance of What Was Not In Hamas’s New Political Document
- Published in Arabic, in al-Quds, June 3, 2017.
- What Should President Abbas Say When He Meets Mr. Trump?
- Part Two Published in al-Quds in Arabic, on May 3, 2017.
- What Should President Abbas Say When He Meets Mr. Trump?
- Part One, Published in Arabc, in al Quds, on May 3, 2017
- The US Should Provide the Settlers With Incentives to Return to Israel
- Published in al Quds, in Arabic, Apr 27, 2017
- The Palestinian Way, published in Arabic, in al-Quds, March, 9,2017
- The PLO Must Launch an Initiative Before the Netanyau-Trump Meeting, Published in Arabic, in al Quds, March, March 3 2017
- "Mahmoud Darwish and the Palestinian Declaration of Independence," The Washington Post, August 10, 2016
- "Waiting for the French," Le Figaro, Nov. 24, 2014.
- "Palestinian Refugees and a Jewish State," Foreign Policy/Middle East Channel, Dec. 12, 2012)
- "The Arab Peace Initiative: Under Review," Foreign Policy, December 12, 2012.
- "Going Directly to Israelis and Palestinians," by Shlomo Ben-Ami, Thomas C. Schelling, Jerome M. Segal and Javier Solana " Global Edition of the New York Times, May 30, 2012. [Appeared in Arabic in Al-Ayyam, April 8, 2012] "UNSCOP: A New Strategy for Achieving Independence".
- "The UN as a Venue of Opportunity," Haaretz, September 23, 2011.
- "Palestinian Strategy and the UN" Al Quds, June 15, 2011.
- "Palestinian Unilateralism: Step-2 and Israeli Strategy," Haaretz, (Hebrew edition) May 27, 2011.
- "A Different Way of Thinking about the Two-State Solution," Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly, (Winter/Spring 2010).
- "Declare a Palestinian State," International Herald Tribune, February 24, 2010.
- "An Alternative Approach to the Two-State Solution," Al Quds, February 13, 2010.
- “The Palestinian Declaration of Independence of 1988,” Haaretz, December 2009.
- “The Palestinian Right of Return and Israel’s Right to Exist as a Jewish State,” Al-Quds, July 2008, also revised and expanded in Philosophy and Public Policy Quarterly, Fall, 2008.
- “Israel Needs Tough Love,” Haaretz, May 2008
- “Hard Choices on Refugees,” Al-Quds, November, 2007
- “How to Bring a Unified Palestinian State into Existence,” Al –Quds, Sept. 27, 2007
- “Palestinian Statehood Within a Year,” Haaretz, July 13, 2007
- “Moving Toward a Moment of Truth.” YNET, May 31, 2007
- “Final Status in a New Era,” Haaretz, February 16, 2007
- “The Logical Step Towards Palestinian Unity,” al-Quds, Dec. 12, 2006
- “Middle East Breakthrough,” Haaretz, 13 October 2006
- “Secretary Rice’s Message to Prime Minister Haniya,” Al Quds, Aug 2006
- “Convergence and the Lebanon model,” Haaretz, 20 June, 2006
- “Proper Role of Referendum,” Al Quds, 12 June, 2006
- “Clarifying the Recognition Issue,” Al Quds, March 18, 2006
- “Avoiding Ambiguity on the Right to Exist,” Haaretz, March 18, 2006
- “The Offer Hamas and the PLO Should Make to Israel,” Al Quds, February 25, 2006
- “Last chance to End the Conflict,” Haaretz, February 7, 2006
- “The Missed Opportunity,” Haaretz, Novemer 15, 2005
- “Reflections on Palestinian Strategy,” Al Quds, Spring 2004
- “How Terrorist Infrastructure Dismantles” several American Jewish newspapers, Spring, 2004
- "Negotiating Jerusalem," Philosophical Dimensions of Public Policy, edited by Verna Gehring and William A. Galston, (New Brunswick: Transaction, 2002). Originally in QQ - Report from the Institute for Philosophy and Public Policy, Fall, 1997.
- “Time for a Palestinian Peace Proposal,” Al-Quds, June 19, 2002.
- “An American Imposed Peace,” Haaretz, March 14, 2002.
- “A Blueprint For a New Beginning in the Middle East,” New York Times, February 17, 2002.
- “A New Middle East Approach” The Nation, January 28, 2002
- “A Bi-national Confederation,” Boston Review, Dec. 2001/Jan. 2002
- “The Palestinian Peace Offer,” Haaretz, October 1, 2001
- “Correcting Right of Return Confusions,” Middle East Policy, June 2001. Reprinted in Best Jewish Writing 2002, edited by Michael Lerner, (Jossey-Bass, 2002).
- “Reflections on Palestinian Strategy,” Al-Quds (Jerusalem), April 23, 2001
- “A Choice Based Approach to the Right of Return,” Ha’aretz, February 1, 2001
- “Sovereignty Belongs to God” – Al Quds, August 2000
- “The Right of Return and Israel’s Right to Remain a Jewish State,” Al-Quds, August 2000
- “A Solution for the Temple Mount,” Haaretz, August 2000
- “Two Issues, One Objective: Nothing More Important” (Jerusalem and Palestinian Refugees), The Washington Post, Outlook, Sunday, February 6, 2000.
- "Defining Jerusalem,” Middle East Insight, Jan-Feb, 1999.
- "Israel at Fifty" Tikkun, Spring 1998.
- "O Jerusalem," The Washington Post, Outlook, Sunday October 18, 1998.
- "Jerusalem: Security and Morality Necessitate Sharing With the Palestinians," Washington Jewish Week, Nov. 1997. Reprinted in ten other Jewish papers.
- "The State of Palestine: The Question of Existence," in Philosophical Perspectives on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, edited by Tomas Kapitan, (M.E. Sharpe, 1997).
- "Changing U.S. Policy on Middle East," The Nation, August 1996.
- "Roundtable Discussion of an Interim Proposal: A Palestinian State with Sovereignty Over Gaza/Jericho and Administrative Authority Over the West Bank," Middle East Policy, September 1995.
- "How Netanyahu Can Make Peace: A Proposal," Ha'aretz, July 1996.
- "A Secret Concession From Jerusalem? Behind Closed Doors the `Offer' of a Palestinian State," The Washington Post, May 28, 1995. Reprinted in The International Herald Tribune, as "Quietly a Middle East Milestone is Passed."
- "An Open Memo to Yitzhak Rabin and Yasser Arafat," The Washington Jewish Week, March 1995.
- "Time Runs Short for the Peace Process," Los Angeles Times, December 30, 1994.
- With William Quandt and Khalil Jahshan, "Unsettling the West Bank," The Washington Post, May 29, 1994. Reprinted in The Jerusalem Post.
- "Perspective on Mideast Peace: A Shortcut to the Goal Is, Even Now, At Hand," Los Angeles Times, March 11, 1994.
- "Keep Israeli-PLO Peace Alive: Steps Both Sides Should Take - Now," The Nation, December 26, 1994.
- "From Ritual to Reconciliation," The Washington Post, September 19, 1993. Reprinted in The International Herald Tribune.
- "Israel Bites a Big Bullet: Palestinian State is Certain," Los Angeles Times, September 1, 1993. Reprinted in Al-Quds (Palestinian paper).
- "Try This in Gaza: A `Trial' Palestine", The Washington Post, May 23, 1993. Reprinted in Davar (Israel). Reprinted in Al-Quds.
- "A Peace Talks Gamble: Take the Big Issue First," Los Angeles Times, February 22, 1993.
- "Give Gaza to the Palestinians Now," Los Angeles Times, March 21, 1993.
- "Strategic Choices Facing the Palestinians in the Negotiations," Journal of Palestine Studies, Winter, 1993. Reprinted as a publication of the Israel-Palestine Center for Research and Information, Jerusalem, January 1993.
- "Loans and Pawns on the West Bank," The Washington Post, September 22, 1991.
- "Bush Can Call Shamir's Bluff," Los Angeles Times, September 10, 1991.
- "The Gulf War and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict," World Policy Journal, Spring 1991.
- "Postwar Israel: the Prospects for Peace," Mother Jones, May/June 1991.
- "The Patriots Do More Than Down Missiles," Newsday, January 24, 1991.
- "Response to Michael Lerner on Iraq," Tikkun, November 1990.
- "A Peaceful Gulf Solution," The Boston Globe, November 12, 1990.
- "Middle East Peace: Nine Steps the United States Should Take," The Nation, July 2, 1990.
- "Gain U.S. Leverage on the Settlements," Los Angeles Times, June 18, 1990.
- "The Closing Window of Opportunity," Affirmation 3, no. 1, (Spring 1990).
- "Morality, Israel and the American Jewish Response," Le Monde Diplomatique, April 1990.
- "Does the State of Palestine Exist?" Journal of Palestine Studies, Fall, 1989.
- "Next Steps for Peace in the Middle East," The Return, Fall, 1989.
- "Achieving a Breakthrough" Al Quds (arabic), Jerusalem, September 1989.
- "Thoughts on the Palestinian Declaration of Independence," (Jerusalem: PASSIA, 1989) in English and Arabic.
- "Shamir Election Plan: Solvable Problems?" Los Angeles Times, June 27, 1989
- "Palestinian Strategies and the Road to Peace" Lecture delivered at Chatham House, The Royal Institute for International Affairs, London, April 4, 1989. Published in Al-Quds May 15, 1989 (Arabic).
- "A Foreign Policy for the State of Palestine" Journal of Palestine Studies, Winter, 1989. Appeared in Arabic in Al Quds, Jerusalem.
- "The Meaning of the PNC in Algiers" Tikkun, January/February 1989. Appeared in Arabic in Al Quds.
- "Peace Plans Compared" American-Arab Affairs, Fall 1988.
- "Taking Yes for an Answer--The PLO is Ready to Talk if We're Ready to Listen" The Washington Post, November, 20, 1988.
- "Try Saying `Yes' to the PLO" Los Angeles Times, October, 24, 1988.
- “Time to Declare the State of Palestine,” The Return, September, 1988.
- "A Just Declaration--Palestinian Statehood" The New York Times, August 21, 1988.
- "The PLO Isn't Intransigent--Israel and the U.S. Are" The Washington Post, July 16, 1988.
- "A Radical Plan for Middle East Peace" The Washington Post, May 22, 1988. Reprinted in The Manchester Guardian and The Jordan Times and The International Herald Tribune.
- "How to Affect U.S. Foreign Policy" Al-Quds, (Arabic) Jerusalem, May, 7, 1988.
- "From Uprising to Independent State" Al-Quds, (Arabic) Jerusalem, April 27, 1988
- "The PLO Must Address the Terrorism Issue" address delivered to the convention of the Arab-American Anti-Discrimination Committee, March 11, 1988. Reprinted in English and Arabic versions of Al-Fajr, Jerusalem, April, 1988.
- "PLO Terrorism is the PLO's Albatross" Los Angeles Times, March 23, 1988. Reprinted in The Washington Report on Middle East Affairs.
- "A Palestinian State Serves Interests of Israel, Too" Los Angeles Times, February 16, 1988.
- "Why Israel Needs Arafat" New York Times, February 7, 1988.
- "Israel Would Be Better Off Without The West Bank and Gaza" The Washington Post, Jan. 16, 1988.
- "Will Israel's U.S. Friends Press Her For Peace?" Los Angeles Times, November 9, 1987.
- "Let's Talk With the PLO, Not Close Its Offices" Newsday, October 27, 1987.
- "Arafat Assures American Jews A Negotiated Peace is Possible" the Washington Report on Middle East Affairs, September 1987.
- "Jewish-PLO Dialogue" The Christian Science Monitor, Sept. 2, 1987. Reprinted in The Toronto Star.
- "Freedom and the PLO" Baltimore Sun, July 28, 1987. Also appeared in the Hartford Courant and the Long Beach Post Telegram.
- "Why I Met With Yasser Arafat" Washington Jewish Week, July 23, 1987.
- "PLO State and Peace" The Miami Herald, July 23, 1987.
- "Mideast Policy Snagged on Semantics" Los Angeles Times, 8/24/86. Reprinted in International Herald Tribune, 8/29/86.
- "U.S. Should Support PLO-Jordan Accord for Mideast Parley," Newsday, 3/29/85. Reprinted in the Oakland Tribune.
- "Letters to the editor: Exchange With Abba Eban On the West Bank" Tikkun, Vol. 2, No. 1.
- "Preventing a Holocaust in South Africa," The Los Angeles Times, April 21, 1987.
- "Scarcely a Soviet Shadow in Salvador White Paper," The Washington Star, May 18, 1981.
- "Civil Rights in South Africa" - Statement by Clarence Mitchell, Jr. Representative to the 30th General Assembly of the United Nations, speaking in plenary. Reprinted as "A Challenge to South Africa" published by the Unit on Apartheid, Department of Political and Security Council Affairs, United Nations, 1975.
- "On Ownership," Era Magazine, 1968.
- "Conscientious Objection and Moral Agency," James Finn edited, A Conflict of Loyalties, (New York: Pegasus Books, 1968).
- “Have Judaism and Christianity Misunderstood the Bible?” Georgetown University, September 2007
- “Why Unilateral Withdrawal From Gaza is a Bad Idea,” plenary debate, Association for Israel Studies, 2004
- “Meeting Basic Needs in the United States”, University of Leeds, March 2004
- “The Geneva Accords”, SAIS, sponsored by the Government of Switzerland, February 10, 2004
- “The Future of Jerusalem” Royal Institute for Strategic Studies/Arab League Conference, Chatham House, London, December 15, 1999
- “Towards a Politics of Simple Living,” Conference on Voluntary Simplicity, New York Open Center, New York, October 23, 1999.
- “Palestinian Statehood,” part of lecture series on the Middle East for National Security Agency personnel, Spring 1999.
- "Simple Living: From Individualism to Politics," Communitarian Summit, 1999.
- “Jerusalem Is Negotiable,” plenary of Association for Israel Studies, 1998.
- "Simple Living as a Development Ideal," American Philosophic Association, December 1998.
- "Work, Time and Consumption" presented at The Time Famine Conference, Iowa State, May 1996.
- "The Sabbath and Alternative Conceptions of Development," Meetings of the American Philosophical Association, December 1995.
- "High Income Needs," Conference of the International Development Ethics Association, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, June 1992.
- "Aristotle and Mandeville on the Economic Realm," Conference of the International Development Ethics Association, Merida, Mexico, July, 1989.
- "What is a State? - Implications for the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict," Association for Israel Studies, June 1989.
- "Palestinian Strategies and the Road to Peace" Lecture delivered at Chatham House, The Royal Institute for International Affairs, London, April 4, 1989.
- "The Quality of Work and the Criteria for Evaluating Economic Performance" remarks delivered at Conference on Philosophy and Work, University of Michigan, March 5, 1988.
- "What the History of the Idea of Progress Has to Tell Us About Development," delivered at the Conference on Ethics and Development, University of Costa Rica, June 15, 1987.
- "U.S. and Soviet Foreign Policy: The Moral Equivalence Debate" delivered at Colorado State University and at University of Wyoming, 1986.
- "U.S. Policy and the Meaning of Development" delivered at Colorado State University and at the University of Wyoming, 1986.
- "U.S. National Interests and World Development" delivered at University of Wyoming, 1986.
- "Values, Development and Professional Life" presentation at Colorado State University, 1986.
- "Values in the Bureaucratic Life" presented at the meetings of the Association of American Colleges, New Orleans, 1985.
- "The Significance of A.I.D.'s New Strategy" Title XII Colloquium, University of Maryland, 1985.
- "Alternative Conceptions of Development and A.I.D.'s Strategic Plan" – lectures to the participants in the Development Studies Program, A.I.D. (spring 1985, fall 1985, winter 1986, spring 1986).
- "The Nature of Development" paper delivered at the VIII World Conference on Future Studies, Costa Rica, 1984.
- "A Model of Human Activity and Agency" talk given at Western Behavioral Sciences Institute, San Diego, 1981.
- "The Value of Home Production: Conceptual Issues and Policy Implications" paper delivered at the meetings of the Population Association of America, 1981.
TELEVISION AND RADIO APPEARANCES (up to 2003)
- C-SPAN, American Public Opinion and the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict, (PIPA survey), Panel Discussion at the National Press Club, May 2003.
- CNN – Current state of peace process, guest, Lou Dobb’s News Hour, May 22, 2002
- CNN, Analysis of current state of peace process, Oct. 8, 2000
- CNN International, Analysis of Camp David Negotiations, July 2000.
- Panelist, "Middle East Forum with David Aikman," on question of Jerusalem, November 1998.
- Studio Guest, "Insight" CNN International, October 15, 1998.
- Studio guest on "Think Tank" roundtable on Status of Peace Process. Ben Wattenberg host. Spring 1997.
- CNN - International, Commentary on Netanyahu/Bar-On Affair, April 19, 1997.
- PG Cable News, Interview on the Israeli elections, June 3, 1996.
- "Coast to Coast," cable, studio guest, Hamas terrorism. March 5, 1996.
- Channel 15, News, Interview on bombings in Israel. March 4, 1996.
- Commentary on Gaza-Jericho Accords, Evening News, Channel 4, Washington D.C., Sept. 1993.
- Commentary on Gaza-Jericho Accords, Channel 8, Washington D.C., Sept. 1993.
- Testimony before the Subcommittee on Foreign Operations, Senate Committee on Appropriations, C-Span, 6/10/92, 6/13/92, 6/14/92.
- Testimony before the Platform Committee of the Democratic Party, C-Span, 5/23/92, 5/24/92.
- Testimony before the Subcommittee on Foreign Operations of the House Appropriations Committee" C-Span, May 15, 1991.
- "Jewish Responses to the Gulf Crisis" C-Span, January, 1991.
- "Jerome Segal and Meir Kahane: Discussion" C-Span, February 5, 1990
- "CBS Morning Show" Greensboro, North Carolina, September 18, 1989.
- "Bob Clark Show" C-Span, August 3, 1989.
- "Evening Exchange," Channel 32, Washington D.C., May 10, 1989.
- Joe Hunter Show, ABC-TV, Philadelphia, April 3, 1989.
- Cable News Network (CNN) "The International Hour" January 10, 1989
- CBS "Nightwatch" January 5, 1989
- CBS "Nightwatch" December 15, 1988
- CBS Network News - Bob Simon report from Jerusalem, Aug. 1988.
- Ted Koppel "Town Meeting in Jerusalem" April, 1988.
- British, French and Italian TV, August 1988.
- Israeli television (interview program and news program), August 1988.
Radio Appearance/Interviews (up to 2001)
- KIDF, (Hoopa CA), guest, Balancing Work, Home and Family, December 13, 2001
- WTMJ (Milwaukee), guest, Balancing Work, Home and Family, November 15, 2001
- WBAI, (New York), guest, Bush Administration and the Peace Process, January 26, 2001.
- Minnesota Public Radio, “Mid-morning Show,” President Clinton’s Plan, January 4, 2001.
- WJHU, Mark Steiner Show, November 1, 2000, Situation in Middle East
- Wisconsin Public Radio, Oct. 26, 2000, Situation in Middle East
- Morning Edition (NPR), interview with Bob Edwards, on prospects for negotiating Jerusalem, October 19, 2000
- Morning Edition (NPR), interview with Bob Edwards, on sharing Jerusalem, July 26, 2000
- Studio Guest, “Graceful Simplicity,” KGMU, Boulder CO, March 17, 2000
- Voice of America, Prospects for resolving Jerusalem issue, October 5, 1999
- Wisconsin Public Radio — 7/17/99 "Graceful Simplicity'
- Tom Pope Show — 6/30/99 on "Graceful Simplicity"
- WNYC — 6/11/99 — on "Graceful Simplicity"
- New Hampshire Public Radio — 6/8/99 "Graceful Simplicity'
- Minnesota Public Radio, talk show guest, on "Graceful Simplicity," March 1999.
- National Public Radio, studio interview on Jerusalem issue, November 1988.
- WBAI, (New York) guest, "Dissent and Diversity Within the Jewish Community". October, 1997.
- WNYC, Brian Lehrer Show, Interview on "The Politics of Simplicity," August 1996.
- NBC Radio, Interview on the Israeli Elections, June 1, 1996.
- Pacifica Radio, Interview on the Israeli Elections, May 31, 1996
- NBC Radio, Interview on bombings in Israel, March 4, 1996.
- Guest, People Are Talking, KCRG, Iowa, "Graceful Simplicity," March 1, 1996.
- Voice of America, Interview on forthcoming book "Graceful Simplicity," February 12, 1996.
- Guest, KPFT Talk Show, Dallas, "Money and Our Economic Life," November 30, 1995.
- Guest, Jim Bohannon Talk Show, Death of P.M. Rabin, Nov. 6, 1995.
- Mutual Radio, Interview On Death of P.M. Rabin, Nov. 6, 1995
- WBAI (New York), Discussant, June 7, 1995
- BBC News Service, Panel Discussant, June 1, 1995.
- Pacifica Radio, Commentary on current developments in the Peace Process, 3/13/94
- Studio Guest, WPFW program on Hebron massacre, March 1994.
- Pacifica Radio, Commentary on current developments in the Peace Process, 1/24/94
- Pacifica Radio, Commentary on current developments in the Peace Process, 12/20/93
- Pacifica Radio, Commentary on current developments in the Peace Process, 12/5/93
- Dorothy Healy Show, Guest, Middle East issues, December 1993, WPFW
- Pacifica Radio, Commentary on current developments in the Peace Process, 11/30/93
- Interview on Gaza-Jericho Agreement, Pat Buchanon program, Sept. 1993.
- Commentary on Situation in Southern Lebanon, NBC Radio, July 1993.
- Pacifica Radio, Commentary on Jewish Organizations and the Middle East, November 27, 1992
- Singapore Radio, numerous commentaries on Middle East throughout 1992
- Pacific Radio, "Developments in Middle East," 8/24/92
- WBZ, Boston, "Prospects for Negotiations," Tom Cuddy, August 4, 1991.
- NBC Radio, Commentary on the Middle East, August 1, 1991.
- Singapore Radio, Commentary on Middle East, August 1, 1991.
- Monitor Radio, Commentary on Middle East, August 2, 1991.
- Singapore Radio, Commentary on Middle East, July 15, 1991.
- Monitor Radio, Commentary on Middle East, July 12, 1991.
- WORT, Madison, Wisconsin, "Israeli-Palestinian Peace," April, 1991
- BBC World Service, "The News Hour," Commentary on Secretary Baker's Diplomatic Efforts, April 20, 1991.
- KPFA, San Francisco, Commentary on Israeli Settlements, April 15, 1991.
- Singapore Radio, April 14, 1991, Commentary
- Singapore Radio, April 12, 1991, Commentary
- NPR Satellite "Alternative Perspectives on the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict" produced by Institute for Policy Studies, March, 1991.
- Michael Jackson Show, "Israeli Palestinian Peace" WBC, Los Angeles, March 4, 1991.
- Pacifica Morning Show, "Prospects for Peace After the Gulf War" February 25, 1991.
- NPR Satellite "Alternative Perspectives on Gulf War" produced by Institute for Policy Studies, February18, 1991.
- Singapore Radio, "Israel's New Cabinet Minister," February 4, 1991.
- First Day Show with Tom Cuddy, "Peace Prospects," WBZ Radio, Boston, January 27, 1991.
- Pacifica Radio, "Shamir's Visit and an International Conference on the Middle East," December 1990.
- Ted Heisal Show, "Gulf Crisis and Israeli- Palestinian Conflict" Ann Arbor, November 1990.
- Singapore Radio, "Israel and the Gulf Crisis" September 20, 1990.
- KPFA, San Francisco, summer 1990.
- KPFA, San Francisco, guest, November 15, 1989.
- Pacifica Radio, Judy Gabriel Show, Los Angeles, November, 13, 1989.
- "Ray Briehm Show" ABC-AM, Pasadena, guest, November 9, 1989.
- WPER, "John Levitt Show," Palm Beach, interview, July 31, 1989.
- KRSO, San Bernadino, interview with Ed Scannelli, July 28, 1989.
- KMJ, Fresno, interview, July 27, 1989.
- KPFA, "Dorothy Healy Show," Washington, D.C., guest, July 27, 1989.
- WOR, New York, debate, July 26, 1989.
- KPFA, San Francisco, interview, July 25, 1989.
- WBAI, New York, interview (Sheila Ryan), July 25, 1989.
- Singapore Radio, Commentary on current situation in Middle East, June 16, 1989.
- BBC-World Service, "24 Hours," May 1989, Commentary on Secretary Baker's speech to AIPAC.
- BBC-World Service, "24 Hours" Commentary, April 22, 1989.
- BBC-World Service, "News Hour," April 5, 1989.
- WPFW Don Foster talk show, (Washington), January 31, 1989.
- KABC-AM, The Ray Briehm Show, (Los Angeles), December 21, 1988.
- WABC-AM, The Bob Grant Show, (New York) December 21, 1988.
- CKD, (Toronto) December 16, 1988.
- WPTF, The Lowell Shumaker Show, (Raleigh), December 15, 1988.
- WAMU, The Mike Cuthbert Show, (Washington), December 13, 1988.
- WDCU (Washington) - talk show, 1986.
- WDCU (Washington) - talk show with representative from State Department, Spring, 1988.
- WAMU, Diane Rehm Talk Show (Washington) 1988.
- WAMU, Fred Fisk Talk Show (Washington) 1987.
- WAMU, Mike Cuthbert Talk Show (Washington) 1988.
- Pacifica Radio Network - Interview - 1987.
- Pacifica Radio Network - Interview - 1988.
- WPFW (replay of talk given at Institute for Policy Studies) 1988.
- WERE talk show, Cleveland, (Slutsky) 1988.
- WAAM (Ann Arbor) Ted Heisal Show, March 1988.
- Israeli Armed Forces Radio, August 1988.
- California Radio interview, August 1988.
- Canadian Radio Interview, 1987.
- CKO National News (Canada) Joe Soloway, August 1988.
- ABC radio News interview, August 1988.
- BBC radio interview, August 1988.
- Voice of America interview, May 1988.
- Voice of America interview, August 1988.
- "All Things Considered" (Robert Siegel), August 1988.
ARTICLES ABOUT DR. SEGAL (partial listing)
U.S. Press (Mainstream)
- “A Jealous God, One in Need of Coaching, David Reilly, Philadelphia Inquirer, August 14, 2007.
- “A Middle East Optimist,” Michael Hill, Baltimore Sun and Chicago Tribune, Jan. 1, 2006
- “In Search of Simplicity,” Brigid Schulte, The Washington Post, September 16, 2004.
- “Israel Jews Seen Flexible on Jerusalem Boundaries,” Bart Gellman, The Washington Post, Jan. 7, 1997. (news story on Segal’s research).
- "National Glumness" editorial in The Union Leader, Manchester, N.H., November 29, 1995.
- "Choosing the City or the Suburb," Nancy Comisky, The Indianapolis Star, November 27, 1995
- " New Theory to Explain the National Glumness," Michael Feinsilber, Associated Press story, November 26, 1995. Reprinted in USA Today, and numerous other papers.
- "The Morning After," Anton Shammas, New York Review of Books, Sept. 29, 1988.
- "The Morning After: An Exchange," Segal & Shammas, New York Review of Books, November 24, 1988.
- "Palestinians Press for Declaration of Independence," Joel Brinkley, The New York Times, August 15, 1988.
- "Jewish Father for Palestinian State," profile piece by Robert Pear, The New York Times, August 24, 1988.
- "Middle East Ricochet" lead editorial, The Washington Post, August 9, 1988.
- "Palestinian State Urged by Jewish Philosopher" profile piece in The Washington Times, by James Dorsey, October 26, 1988.
U.S. Press (Jewish)
- "Can Jerry Segal Bring Peace to the Middle East?" profile piece by James Besser, Baltimore Jewish Times, August 5, 1988.
- "Jewish Analyst Says PLO Ready to Accept Partition Plan," The Northern California Jewish Bulletin, October 28, 1989.
- "Palestinian Independence Outlined by a U.S. Jew Active in Drafting It," Wolf Blitzer, The Sentinel, Chicago, October 27, 1988.
- "PLO Ready to Talk Peace With Israel," Segal Says" Baltimore Jewish Times, October 7, 1988.
- "Author of Palestinian Declaration of Independence is an American Jew," Wolf Blitzer, The Sentinel, Chicago, August 25, 1988.
- "Delegation of U.S. Jews Who Met With Arafat in Tunis Issue Boldly Optimistic Statement on Negotiated Peace," Sentinel, Chicago, July 25, 1987.
- "Jews Meet Arafat," Wolf Blitzer, The Buffalo Jewish Review, July 3, 1987.
- "Delegation of American Jews Meets Arafat in Tunis," Washington Jewish Week, June 18, 1987.
- "Jerome Segal: Father of a Palestinian State?" Wolf Blitzer, The Jewish Journal, August 14, 1988.
- "Part two of Gaza/Jericho First: A ministate" Steve Rodan, Jerusalem Post, June 23, 1995.
- "Jewish Activist Presents to Peres and Arafat a Plan to Establish a Palestinian State in Gaza and Jericho," Ha'aretz, April 6, 1995.
- " (Proposal to promote settlers to return to Israel)" Ha'aretz, May, 1994.
- "Some Light at the End of the Israeli Tunnel," Richard Gwyn, The Toronto Star, August 12, 1988.
- "The Man Behind the Palestinian Declaration" Menachem Shalev, Jerusalem Post, August 1988.
- "L'Affair du Document Husseini" Le Monde, August 9, 1988.
- "A New Direction for the Uprising" Joel Greenberg, The Jerusalem Post, August 12, 1988.
- "General Strike Brings West Bank and Gaza to Standstill" Benny Morris, The Guardian, London, August 23, 1988.
- "Prof. Jerome Segal, author of Husseini Document at Hebrew University," The Jerusalem Post, August 24, 1988.
- Haaretz, Israel, August 24, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Yediot Aharonot, Israel, August 23, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Yediot Aharonot, cover story of weekend magazine, profile, August 26, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Yediot Aharonot, Israel, August 24, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Haaretz, Israel, August 12, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Haaretz, Israel, August 22, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Al Hamishmar, August 26, 1988, profile, (Hebrew).
- Maariv, Israel, August 4, 1988 (Hebrew).
- Al-Hamishmar, Israel, August 24, 1988 (Hebrew).
INTERVIEWS IN PRINT (from 1988, partial)
- Newsweek, International Edition, "A New Palestinian Strategy," September 12, 1988.
- L'Unita, Rome, December 1988.
- La Cite, Brussels,September 22, 1988.
- Trouw, Netherlands, May 17, 1988.
- Middle East Mirror, London, August 1988.
- Hadashot, Israel, August 26, 1988.